How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 125186
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

My sister is a Pakistani citizen and she is in Pakistan. Her

This answer was rated:

HiMy sister is a Pakistani citizen and she is in Pakistan. Her husband lives in US, in NY and he has US Green Card. We want to know what are the applications my sister can apply to join her husband in USA? Like in UK, she can apply for spouse visa application but I am unaware of the US immigration system and would seek advice on it.I would appreciate if you can provide me with1- what applications she can apply and brief procedure i.e requirement, time they can take etc.
Please advice if there is more than 1 application option s he has under US immigration system.I would appreciate your response.Thank you

Hello! My name is Guillermo Senmartin and I am a licensed attorney with more than 17 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I do not respond quickly, I promise I will be back as soon as I can. I have my own law practice and sometimes I go to court, attend my own clients, or help other customers at the same time. I could just be very busy, but I AM NOT IGNORING YOU!


Also, I understand you might get a prompt asking if you want to work with another expert, but just ignore it. Please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and there is no guarantee that a new expert will respond any faster.


Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. I am here to help.


Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the answer is not good news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.


Is she currently in the U.S.? If not, what visa will she use to enter the U.S.?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She is in Pakistan. She got married 2 years ago in Pakistan. Her husband came from US he had Green card. Now she wants to move to US to live with him.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Her husband visits her twice a year. Now we want to apply her visa so she can go US and live with her husband. but we want to know what applications she can make under US law to go USA and what is the procedure and time scale etc

He has to file the I-130. She cannot really force him to do that if he doesn't want to, if that is what you are asking.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Her husband said he is applying but we our family of sister wanted to seek information about what application she can apply and what the procedure, i.e time it can take etc would appreciate if you can briefly touch on that as well please.

There really is nothing that she can file unless she can prove that he has abused her. Can she prove that?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No that is fine. thank you so much for your advice. and one last thing, once her husband apply in US if we want to ask him to provide us with proof of filing what should we ask? Does US department provide any reference number to check status or letter of acknowledgement etc?

It will probably take around 2 months or more after he files for him to get a receipt from USCIS. He can send you a picture or scan of that receipt. It is a notice I-797.


My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details!


If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely appreciate it. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to log in to your account through the app or web browser (you cannot rate through a text message reply) and scroll up to the top (or the bottom) of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. IF you still do not see the stars, at least leave me a message that says that you are satisfied with my service to you, something like, "THANK YOU!" should suffice. Thank you for your understanding.


Guillermo Senmartin and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will do. thank you so much for your guidance .

My pleasure.