How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 129710
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

We are hoping to move to America in the next couple of

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: We are hoping to move to America in the next couple of years,our two children already live there and have their green cards,my son has an American wife and can apply for his citizenship in 2021 and my daughter can also apply in 2021,she is not married. Can my husband and I start getting things ready,see a solicitor etc?or do we have to wait till they have their citizenships?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: sorry,we are both British and no we haven’t done anything yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: no we haven’t because we thought we would not be able to yet and we’re unsure of what solicitor to choose
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well just that we have Estas and visit the US a couple of times a year

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 17 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I do not respond quickly, I promise I will be back as soon as I can. I have my own law practice and sometimes I go to court, attend my own clients, or help other customers at the same time. I could just be very busy, but I AM NOT IGNORING YOU!

Also, I understand you might get a prompt asking if you want to work with another expert, but just ignore it. Please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and there is no guarantee that a new expert will respond any faster.

Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. I am here to help.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the answer is not good news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, they cannot file anything for you until one or the other obtains U.S. Citizenship and that means taking the oath. So even if they are eligible to apply in2021 for U.S. Citizenship, it will probably take 6 months to a year or so before they are approved and take the oath. Only then can they file for you. You can continue to visit BEFORE the file for you, but once one files for you, you should be prepared to not visit while the 6 months to a year process to immigrate runs.

What else may I answer or you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have no other questions at the moment.
Thank you for your help.Chris&Denise Lockhart

You are very welcome. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details!

If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to log in to your account through the app or web browser (you cannot rate through a text message reply) and scroll up to the top (or the bottom) of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. IF you still do not see the stars, at least leave me a message that says that you are satisfied with my service to you, something like, "THANK YOU!" should suffice. Thank you for your understanding.

Guillermo Senmartin and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There was something else we wanted to ask,can we in the meantime open a bank account in America? And are we able to purchase a house there?

You can do both, but keep in mind that those become ties to the U.S. that can make it harder for them to believe that when you visit, your intentions are to go home after your visit.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi,we’re told we would need a Social Security number? before we could open a bank account in the US, we went in to a bank to see about opening an account and that’s what they told us?
Also once one of our children has applied for us to live in the US,do we then have to contact a lawyer in England or out there to help us with the process?
Thank you

You won't be able to get a Social Security Number until you get a work permit and that won't be for awhile. Ask different banks if they would allow you to open a bank account with an ITIN:

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Could you let me know the answer to our other question.

A lawyer in the U.S. should be able to help. You can look for one at

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh okay,so we don’t need to use one here? Once we start the process

Not really.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One other thing we won’t be working in the USA we will be retired? Does this effect anything?

It does not affect anything as long as the Petitioner shows they make enough money to ensure that you and your spouse will not become public charges.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the person applying,one of our children is the petitioner


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how would we get a social security number to open a bank account,as we won’t be working. We will be self funding,we have savings and properties to sell here before we come to America

You cannot. Not until you get a green card or a work permit. But you can try for an ITIN and maybe find a bank willing to open a bank account using an ITIN instead of a Social.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi,would you be able to give a rough idea of how much it would cost to complete the process?thanks

Here is a link:

$535 for each I-130, $325 for each visa fee, and then I believe $120 for each I-864 review.

Good luck.