How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dolan Williams Your Own Question
Dolan Williams
Dolan Williams,
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 61711
Experience:  Law Office of Dolan M Williams at Attorney
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Dolan Williams is online now

A company in Miami Florida is currently owing my company

Customer Question

A company in Miami Florida is currently owing my company money for goods supplied. I am thinking to raise a non payment dispute. What are my options?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

Hello! Thanks for coming to the site. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney ready to answer your questions with top-quality service. Just a few quick things before we get started:

  • I’m sorry to hear you are having these problems with your legal issue. I know that can be frustrating. However, we can get this resolved quickly;

  • I always go for immediate responses, but I am occasionally called away for client meetings.

  • Is it ok if I take a few moments to review your matter and I’ll be right with you to discuss your issue?

Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

Do you do business in the states at all?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
we do
Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

Excellent! How much money do they owe you?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

Thanks! When was the debt incurred? By that I mean how long has the bill been past due?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
around Feb of this year
Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

I see! And last question: why aren't they paying?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
they claim not to have the money to pay their bills but they have been operating as normal
Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

Thanks so much! I have everything I need. Bear with me a moment while I address your concerns.

Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

This appears to be a breach of contract. A breach of contract simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either not performed or have said that they will not perform. (Restatement (Second) of Contracts.) This applies regardless of whether the agreement was written or done orally. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. You have some options you can explore:

  1. The quicker, informal option is to send a demand for performance. Performance being the payment of some money or engaging in some required action. You can find breach of contract templates online for cheap: (

  2. You can file a lawsuit in a Dade County court. If you’ve already sent a bunch of letters, then the truth is this is the only way to compel them to do anything. Given how much money is involved here, you will likely need to hire a Florida-based attorney to assist.

  3. I don’t have any specific contacts; however, I can do the next best thing.

    One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS typically only lists experienced attorneys who have adequate staffing to assist people. Below is a link to a website that compiles the state lawyer referral services: is a surprisingly good place to find lawyers.

    Sometimes, the local law schools can provide free legal assistance, too. is a surprisingly good place to find lawyers.

    You can also return to this site and ask questions to me as you go through this process to keep your costs down.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** item addressed in number 2. How much would it cost to file the lawsuit at Dade county court?Also would like be a breach of contract or a non payment dispute?
Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

Sure thing!

1. So the cost to file is usually less than $300 USD. Attorneys fees would make it more expensive of course;

2. Also, non-payment disputes is a breach of contract, so it's the same action.

Did you have any other questions for me about this today?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no that's it. Thank you
Expert:  Dolan Williams replied 18 days ago.

You bet! Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know. I am happy to help.

My name is ***** ***** I go by Legal Eagle on this site. Once you log back in, you can go to the “My Questions” page, and you’ll see our conversation. There, you will have a chance to “Request Legal Eagle”. Type in your question, and it comes to me.

There are just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

  1. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

  2. Tips are never required, but always appreciated!

  3. Tell your friends about!