How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 49216
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

A friend borrowed large amount of money from me (103k), he

Customer Question

A friend borrowed large amount of money from me (103k), he left the country amd now he is in US! Can he prosecuted in US???
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: Friend took on a loan (100k) on a private paper agreement in 2013, He subsequently borrowed 43k on bank money transfer ! He let country in 2017, now living in US
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Analyst should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: FIRST 100k was signed by his wife, subsequent 45k on his account! He is now in US! Address n email available!
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: US Law
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am waiting to hear from you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Still waiting
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello there! I am still waiting for a response
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello, I am still waiting
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 18 days ago.


I’m Zoey, and I am an experienced attorney. I know your question is important to you and I will be giving it the time and attention it deserves.

In case you would like a faster response, the site will automatically offer you an optional phone call for an additional fee. No need to choose a phone call unless you'd like one. I’m happy to type or to talk.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 18 days ago.

Unfortunately, no.   He cannot be prosecuted in the US because he committed no crime over here.   Under US law, it is the place where the crime was committed that has jurisdiction over the offense.   He defrauded you in the UK, so that's where he'd have to be prosecuted.

Even though you can't have him criminally charged, you'd still have a remedy. Frankly, even if there was criminal jurisdiction, because this was a loan and there was a contract to repay you, the police over here would tell you to take the matter into civil court because it's more appropriate for that venue.   You can sue him in the States for the return of your money.   Have to hire a lawyer where he currently is or sue internationally from the UK.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 18 days ago.

Any questions? If you need more clarification or have a follow-up, just reply and we can continue our dialogue.