Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

Could you check out the sender of this message. I think it’s

Please could you check out the sender of this message. I think it’s a scam, I have contacted them through eBay about a classified ad as I’m looking for a campervan and they have one. I initially messaged using the eBay message button to which the seller sent me a text back.I think it’s a bit suspicious that he didn’t get back in touch through eBay and wondered if you could check out his text details in case it’s a scam.His text message and details are: live:.cid.cb654b51893ce5e6:
Hi, if you are still interested in my AUTOCRUISE STARFIRE 2 BERTH email at:***@******.***
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Analyst should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes there was another seller last week With the same email ending as in at contact BT.info, I’ve never heard of this before and I was wondering if they think just because I put BTN and their trusted people will fall for this

I’m Zoey, and I am an experienced attorney. I know your question is important to you and I will be giving it the time and attention it deserves.

In case you would like a faster response, the site will automatically offer you an optional phone call for an additional fee. No need to choose a phone call unless you'd like one. I’m happy to type or to talk.

Yes, this is a well-known scam and we see several of them every week.

There is only one way to buy an eBay item. That is to see the vehicle on www.eBay.com and bid on it and win it in the auction or at its buy-it-now, fixed price on www.eBay.com.

You can't buy an "eBay" item privately off of eBay.com.  It is not an eBay item if you buy it anywhere else, regardless of what the seller tells you.  It MUST be purchased directly on www.eBay.com and paid for over www.eBay.com's own payment portal for it to be a real eBay deal and for eBay to stand behind it and protect your purchase.

Scammers who pull a stunt like this frequently insist upon payment by eBay gift cards.  That's to make you think it's really an eBay deal.  The real eBay will never insist upon payment by gift cards. You can only pay for an eBay item on the eBay portal on www.eBay.com. There, you can charge the vehicle to your credit card, apply your gift card, use PayPal, or debit your bank account.  eBay gift cards state right on them that they can only be used on www.eBay.com.

They will also claim that eBay will hold the money until you inspect the vehicle and approve it.  But the real eBay NEVER acts as an escrow agent between a buyer and a seller.

eBay warns of this scam here:  https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

DO NOT GET THIS VAN!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much Zoey,
I’m so glad I contacted justanswer.co.uk, you saved me falling for a £5,900 scam!

Sorry for the delay. I was not notified of this response.

I'm delighted to have helped!

If there is anything more I can help with, you can always find me again on this chat thread or by starting a new question with "For Zoey Only."