Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

I received a message from Edison World Courier Delivery

I received a message from Edison World Courier Delivery company that i have to pay £2.000 to receive a package (luggage) the next day. My friend said he sent it from Canada to UK
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: The name of the delivery service is Edison World Courier Delivery company. I was speaking to a person called Collinson Dave and the account I was suppose to send the money is : Account name: Churchill Asemota Igbinosun
Account number: 40822249
Sort code: 608370
Iban: *****************22249
Bic: cnfvgb21xxx
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Analyst should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That is all

I’m Zoey, and I am an experienced attorney. I know your question is important to you and I will be giving it the time and attention it deserves.

In case you would like a faster response, the site will automatically offer you an optional phone call for an additional fee. No need to choose a phone call unless you'd like one. I’m happy to type or to talk.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When can i expect the answer?

In a few minutes.  Please be patient so that I can type it  for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

People who ask a question like this -- and there are many, many more than you could possibly believe -- are always the victim of a consignment box scam.

A consignment scam is when someone -- typically an online romance you've never met in person -- claims to be sending you something valuable. But it never gets to you. Instead, you are contacted for one reason after another, after another, after another, after another, asking you for various payments to get the package on its way to you. Pay once and there will be something else they'll need next. Then something else. And something else. And so on.

The scam can come complete with a phony shipping website, with phony tracking, fake customs agents and shippers and more.

With these scams, the sender frequently also claims to be serving in the military or with the UN or NATO. Regardless of who the sender claims to be and what he claims to be sending, however, if you fall for this fraud any number of phony shippers, customs agents and lawyers will scare you into thinking that because the parcel is addressed to you, you will face criminal charges if you don't pay all the bogus fees that will be asked for. But that's simply not how this would work if the parcel was real.

You can read pages and pages and pages of scam reports about consignment box frauds and how they work here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=consignment+box+scams&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS525US525&oq=consignment+box+scams&aqs=chrome..69i57.7068j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you already know I'm right, cease contact with the sender of this parcel. He's not who, what or where he says he is, and he is only interested in stealing your money. Don't pay anyone a cent and ignore any communication you may get from so-called shippers, customs agents or government officials. If you think I am wrong, give me the website for the so-called shipper. I'm sure it will prove to be some fly-by-night site set up for the short-haul to look just convincing enough to make you send the money. But it won't be a real company.

Report the fraud to your law enforcement authorities.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's ok, i didn't pay and i contacted the authorities as well. Thank you so much for your help!

That's great to hear!  Too many people pay first and are out a great deal of money by the time they ask a question on this site.

If there is anything more I can help with, you can always find me again on this chat thread or by starting a new question with "For Zoey Only."

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you! Have a lovely evening!

You're very welcome!