barristerinky
barristerinky,
19958803

If I have a DUI driving offence in the USA and probation

Customer Question

If I have a DUI driving offence in the USA and probation period left of 17 months would I ever be able to travel to the UK to do my masters degree before the probation period is over?
Category: US Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and I will try my best to help with your situation.

.

I know your question is important, but there may be a short delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply

.

The phone call offers are auto generated by the website, not me personally. I don’t offer that service and only work on the website as I like to have time to think about a customer’s situation and research it so I can provide the best answer possible in writing.

.

However, if you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts who do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request, you will get additional instructions.

.

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with this situation as I realize it can be frustrating and confusing.

.

Do the terms of your probation require you to report to a probation officer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I am unsure if that has to be bodily.

Ok, that would be the determining factor here.. .If you have to report in person, then you wouldn't be able to leave unless you actually get permission in writing from your probation officer (PO) to go on non personal reporting status..

.

If you are just on non-reporting probation, then you would just want to notify the PO that you will be going overseas to school..

.

But regardless, either way, you need to contact your assigned PO and ask them if 1. you are on in person reporting status and 2. if so, would they give permission for you to go overseas to school.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great, thank you. Does time served and the state make a difference? Or is it the some format to speak to a PO either way?

No, this is something that the PO is normally given discretion to decide as they are the one put in charge of your probation terms and can modify them as they see fit..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you is there anyway I can help them see that it’s in good interest I go to school overseas? Evidence, good behaviour etc? I’m just wondering if there is a way to make them swing more one decision than the other

School is always a good reason to ask for a change... and the fact that you haven't had any type of violation wile on probation counts too. And you can also offer to call them to speak personally while overseas if they really wanted you to maintain personal contact..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you! You’ve been a great help. Do you also know if being on a probation period would effect getting a student visa for the uk?

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

.

And that I don't know.. I don't do any immigration law..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need to reach me in the future, you can post a new question thread with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

.

Have a great afternoon and be safe!