How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lorens35 Your Own Question
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 56818
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Lorens35 is online now

I moved to Ireland to retire and I canceled my car insurance

Customer Question

I moved to Ireland to retire and I canceled my car insurance and stored my car at my sisters. The DMV said I would lossy license because I had not paid insurance on the date they had asked. I did not receive this letter until after the date they said I needed to insursure the car. In the mean time I paid a $600.00 dollar fee thinking that would take care of it. Also I donated the car to NPR as we have decided to retire in Ireland. I am using my US license here until I can get an Irish License a lengthy process because of the covidvirus.
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: They have set up a telephone interview as I am in Ireland
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 22 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 18 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 35 yrs and a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009.

This question is, understandably, important to you, and it is important to me that you get an accurate answer, as quickly as possible.

The format here is a chat. So, feel free to respond with follow-up. I am happy to continue until you are satisfied your questions or concerns have been fully addressed.

I can not comment on Irish law, but if you provide proof that the vehicle in question was transferred before the action date (and insured while in your ownership) in your notice then the insurance requirement should be waived and your VA license would remain in good standing.

Simply send the DMV the receipt you received from NPR.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I came to Ireland on 15/7/2020. when I left the US I assumed the car would not need to be insured as it was parked at my sister's and nobody was allowed to dire it. I did not receive a communication from the DMV that the car needed insurance because I sold the house which had my address for my drivers licence. The mail was forwarded to my sisters house in Va and then to me in Ireland and I got the letter after the date for termination of my license. When I spoke to a representative at DMV they said ignouance was not good enough and I would have to pay a fine which I did and I thought it was taken care of. To I called and gat a date for 17/6/2021 for an interview to get a ruling on if my license would be OK. I am still confused as to what to do.
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 17 days ago.

Even if your VA license is suspended, which they may waive because you are outside the US, it can be reinstated easily by paying a fee of $600 and providing proof of the vehicle no being owned or registered to you now.

When you speak to them, let them know you are and were out of the county and the vehicle is no longer titled to you.

Present this as an administrative error on a stored, unused, vehicle which you no longer own.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 11 days ago.

You are very welcome. Thank tou for using JA.