Lorens35
Lorens35,
17897874

My spouse (mother) & I (father) are divorcing, we are having

Customer Question

My spouse (mother) & I (father) are divorcing, we are having 50/50 custody of our 4 children. We make $1200 each per month. Can someone help calculate how much child support if any we should be paying. We are located in Tennessee.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Continue to wait
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 35 yrs and a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009.

This question is, understandably, important to you, and it is important to me that you get an accurate answer, as quickly as possible.

The format here is a chat. So, feel free to respond with follow-up. I am happy to continue until you are satisfied your questions or concerns have been fully addressed.

TN has an online child support calculator to help estimate child support payments.  You can find it at the following link:

https://timtab.com/simple-child-support-calculator/?country=USA&state=Tennessee

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’ve had a look at that previously and it is saying even though we have 182.5 days each, make around the same amount of money, her slightly more though I’ve still to pay over $400 per month. Once I have paid rent and utilities, gas, insurance and if child support is that much I have barely anything to live off, so that’s why I was asking for clarification
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 12 days ago.

The court has some discretion, but that is in compliance with general TN guidelines for 4 children.

In Tennessee child support is based off the Tennessee Child Support Guidelines. If parents share 50-50/equal parenting time, child support is based upon each parent having one hundred eighty-two and one-half (182.5) days of parenting time.