Lorens35
Lorens35,
17897874

Being sued by an inidividual in the US. Documents mention

Customer Question

Hi - being sued by an inidividual in the US. Documents mention injunctions for freezing of bank accounts etc. Just wondering if it was common for them to be successful in applying for this.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: USA
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I’ve been issued a summons detailing the complaint
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: US Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi ?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 14 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 35 yrs and a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009.

This question is, understandably, important to you, and it is important to us that you get an accurate answer, as quickly as possible.

No common law right to prejudgment attachment exists in the US. Attachment may be available as a prejudgment remedy under state statutes addressing the subject. Federal courts may attach property to the extent permitted by the law of the state in which they sit. A request for a prejudgment attachment or freezing order must be requested from the applicable trial court. A request for attachment or a freezing order may be made at the time the complaint is filed but cannot be requested prior to a suit being commenced. When prejudgment attachment is authorized, courts typically have discretion to issue prejudgment writs of attachment that prevent a defendant from disposing of or hiding tangible or intangible assets that may be used to satisfy any judgment the plaintiff ultimately obtains. A plaintiff seeking prejudgment attachment may be required to post bond to cover any damage caused to defendant’s property in the event that the plaintiff does not succeed on its claims.

The criteria for the issue of a prejudgment writ of attachment are similar to the ordinary principles for granting injunctive relief, although courts have recognized that attachment is a severe remedy that is appropriate only if the plaintiff produces evidence showing an appreciable risk of being unable to enforce a future judgment. Relief may not be sought on an ex parte basis. It is primarily requested in the context of a pending litigation, not prior to a suit being filed. Because the procedure seeks to attach assets prior to a judgment being entered, a court is likely to require a high burden of proof showing that the plaintiff will be entitled to relief once the litigation concludes.

Broadly and generally, an applicant must show that:

• the applicant is likely to prevail on the merits of its case;

• the refusal of a writ of attachment will give rise to a real risk that the plaintiff will be unable to enforce any judgment rendered in its favor;

• the balance of the equities favor the attachment; and

• the public interest favors the attachment, meaning that attachment must further an important interest beyond the claims in the litigation itself.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Did you have any further questions about this?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for the response. It’ll take me some time to fully understand the information due to the technical language.Basically being sued amongst 230 other defendants in the same for $2m by Steve McQueens son Chadwick for offering a T-shirt for sale via eBay. We made no sales of T-shirt ever made in Illinois (the forum chosen by plaintiff) or in the US as a whole.
Thanks again
Paul
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 11 days ago.

You are very welcome.  Thank you for using JA and  best of luck.

Please do let me know if you have further questions that come up about this.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks again
Paul
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks again but just wondering if that additional information would lead you to believe they would pursue a case or be successful with it?
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for following up.

Prejudgment attachment is an equitable remedy with a fairly high level of proof required by the palintiff. From what you describe, it would not appear to be something that would be granted in this case. Especially, since there is no connection to Illinois.

Did you have further questions for me about this?