How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 135912
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

I had to leave kansas in 2008. Under voluntary departure. I

This answer was rated:

I had to leave kansas in 2008 . Under voluntary departure. I had a serious girlfriend at the time. I am a UK citizen, although my parents immigrated when I was a child . Any chance I can go back . I would marry this girl , we have been in contact and she feels the same way. I am a musician and played with some great bands in kansas . Can I ever go home?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I was given the choice of Canada or UK where I was born . I chose the UK as I wanted to contact some distant relatives and experience Europe.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I applied for a visa to visit . But that has expired now . I would have to start over , and willing to do so. Covid changed everything , as you know . But I'm trying to get back to my fiance in kansas if that is possible
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Oh, it's complicated. I was married to an American woman and given a green card. We were divorced before my citizenship could be granted, do I had to return to the uk
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's been a long time since I've been home , bit I've lived in kansas for 25 years. I wanted to stay so badly that I lived there under a false identity for some time , but at the time of my voluntary departure hearing, I'm sure I wasn't charged with any criminal conviction. Not sure if that will show up on my reapplication for a k2 fiance visa, which my person will happily comply with
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sounds expensive I know. My fiance has a down syndrome child , and I love her dearly, her mother and I have a special connection. We both want to be together. My father has cancer and a heart condition . I was quite a popular musician in kansas city. I even had a politician that was quite a fan and was erging me to accept a document which he was expecting 3000 signatures to get me back. I had a fiance who passed away in March 2018 . . My dad is dying and I really want to go home. .my sister lives in kansas city missouri, and I'm sure she would love to help as she has recently given birth to my neice

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I do not respond quickly, I promise I will reply as soon as I can. It may take a little time to research and write your answer, I could be helping other customers, or I could be attending to personal clients as I have my law practice.

I am not sure I understand the situation. If you were married to a U.S. Citizen and you had a green card, why were you forced to leave? Did you commit a serious enough crime? Did they determine that the marriage was fraud? Or you were mistaken and you did not actually get the green card, you were waiting for it and got divorced? Or you only have a 2 year conditional green card and did not successfully remove the conditions? There is a piece of this story missing. What is it?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was arrested for having rolling tobacco papers which they classed as paraphernalia, in 2002 I think. At that point my immigration attorney dismissed my application. I was arrested again in 2008, but those charges were dropped to a minor conviction as I was already arranged by Ice to go ahead with my voluntary departure

I need to know each charge and each disposition, please.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was a young man back then. I would have to access my criminal record myself to know the charges and disposition. I assure you it was nothing serious. A paraphernalia charge in 2002 and I think faulty equipment in 2008 .

It was serious enough to get you removed from the U.S. If you want me to help you, please find out because if not, I can only give you a general answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Maybe I should just apply for a k2 visa and see what happens. Thank you for your help. ??

That's the problem, first, a K-2 visa is for the child of a K-1 fiance/fiancee that is coming to the U.S. to marry a U.S. Citizen. So that's not going to work for you. Second, whatever visa you apply for could be denied if you are inadmissible ot the U.S. That's what I am trying to find out, if you are inadmissible or not, and if you are, if what makes you inadmissible has a waiver (forgiveness), or has no waiver which means that you could never get a green card again.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That is what I'm trying to find out. If I am admissible or not. How should I go about finding out this information? I assume a criminal background check. I was hoping a lawyer would be helpful . It was so long ago.

My friend, we are going around in circles. I am trying to help you find out, but unless you can tell me each specific charge AND sentence, even if suspended, I won't be able to give you more than a general answer. It doesn't matter that it was a long time ago. So you will need to contact each police department that was involved and ask them for a certified copy of each police report. You will also need to contact each court involved and ask them for a certified copy of each court disposition. If they say that no records exist, then you have to get a statement certified by them that says that because U.S. immigration will not just take your word for it.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. That was the information I was looking for. I will contact the appropriate authorities and get back to you.

You are very welcome. Thank you for being a valued customer. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – but that does NOT mean we finished if you need to continue. If you feel you have received anything less than quality service or have additional questions, please reply. I am happy to address 1 or 2 follow-up questions for you. There is no additional charge for that. For any different cases in the future, please post a NEW session and remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question. That way, I can become your exclusive immigration consultant.

Guillermo Senmartin and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you