How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 137370
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

I need help with getting a visa, work visa and immigration

This answer was rated:

I need help with getting a visa, work visa and immigration papers for me to go to Miami
JA: Could you provide me with any other relevant information about the situation surrounding the visa?
Customer: I want to move to Miami USA to live with my girl friend. I want to work when I find a job
JA: Have you already talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no I did'nt relish I need to talk to a lawyer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: what else do you need to know ???

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 19 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I do not respond quickly, I promise I will reply as soon as I can. It may take a little time to research and write your answer, I could be helping other customers, or I could be attending to personal clients as I have my law practice. Also, the system may send a message asking if you want to upgrade to a phone call. That is automated. You can ignore it if you like and continue here for no additional charge, or if you find it easier to speak, upgrade as it is usually worth it.

Remember, if I do not respond quickly, I am NOT ignoring you. I am here. I may just be busy. I am confirming by this response that I did receive your question, but if you want to make sure that this session doesn't escape my notice, just send me a short reply. Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. What you ask is not easy. Your girlfriend a U.S. Citizen? What level of education do you have? In what? Do you have money to invest? How much?

Guillermo Senmartin and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I need help with getting a visa, work visa and immigration papers for me to move to Miami USA to live with my girlfriend

There are generally five avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. Through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or the Diversity Lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 to come immediately and sometimes a Lawful Permanent Resident spouse or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident parent of an unmaried child under 21. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker, and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured, or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases, the investment has to create ten or more jobs for U.S. workers.

And through the lottery, it would be challenging to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year, and some countries do not qualify.

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

Then there are some visas available to stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if you qualify.

Some of the visas available through employment (if you have a job offer and you qualify) are:

H-1B for professional workers
H-2A for seasonal agricultural workers
H-2B for seasonal nonagricultural workers
H-3 for industrial trainees

Then there are the F-1 and M-1 for students and J-1 for exchange visitors.

And then, there is the E-1 for treaty traders and E-2 for treaty investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).

Here is a link to most of the available visas:

I will call you in a few minutes to discuss. If AFTER our phone call you need more help, I am happy to address 1 or 2 follow-up questions for you. There is no additional charge for that. For any different cases in the future, please post a NEW session and remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question. That way, I can become your exclusive immigration consultant.

I tried calling and no one answered. When should I call back?

When would be a good time to call and discuss?