MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Can I have a driving license if I suffer from a mental

Customer Question

Can I have a driving license if I suffer from a mental disease?
Category: US Law
Expert:  MaurizioC replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  MaurizioC replied 10 days ago.

Hello.

Are you in the UK or US? I'm sorry for asking, but this is not clear from the question.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am in the UK but the question is general ....please provide info for both USA and UK
Expert:  MaurizioC replied 10 days ago.

Hi, unfortunately there is no "general legal question" that can be answered, as laws vary from a country to another.

I'm not an expert of US law (and laws vary from state to state, as it's a federal law system), therefore, for the sake of efficiency, I am opting out and another expert may respond on both US and UK law.

Regards.

Expert:  OleksandraC-admin replied 9 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find continuing a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Oleksandra
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today. Laws vary from one country to another but I will answer your query under the impression this falls under UK jurisdiction.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

To answer your query, yes you can still have a driving license despite your mental health disease. Generally, the DVLA will look at each case individually. Whether or not you will be allowed to drive will depend on the effect of your mental health problem on your ability to drive.

In this case, your doctor should tell you if you need to let the DVLA know about your mental health problem.

However, it is your duty to tell the DVLA about a mental health problem that may affect your ability to drive. If you do not, your doctor can tell the DVLA without your consent. Your doctor should tell you in advance that they plan to do this and write to you after they have done so.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.