Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

I am a US permanet resident with a green card that's valid

Customer Question

Hi there,I am a US permanet resident with a green card that's valid until 2025. Could you possibly advise, what are the pros and cons of becoming a citizen? I'm looking into what's the right next thing. I do have a USA based business.Thanks,
Rachel
Category: US Law
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, please advise why my above question on US citizenship wasn't answered? Thanks
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 6 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 19 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I do not respond quickly, I promise I will reply as soon as I can. It may take a little time to research and write your answer, I could be helping other customers, or I could be attending to personal clients as I have my law practice. Also, the system may send a message asking if you want to upgrade to a phone call. That is automated. You can ignore it if you like and continue here for no additional charge, or if you find it easier to speak, upgrade as it is usually worth it.

Remember, if I do not respond quickly, I am NOT ignoring you. I am here. I may just be busy. I am confirming by this response that I did receive your question, but if you want to make sure that this session doesn't escape my notice, just send me a short reply. Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay.  There are plenty of good articles out there, but the primary disadvantage is that as a U.S. Citizen, you would be taxed an ALL worldwide income, no matter the source.  So let's say you also have UK citizenship and you only lived in the UK only and you shut down your U.S. business and no longer had any ties to the U.S., but you were making a tonne of money outside of the U.S. in other businesses, you would still be responsible to pay U.S. taxes on that income if you were also a U.S. Citizen.  Now, I am not an accountant nor tax attorney, but I do understand that there are tax treaties between the U.S. and other countries that may help and prevent double dipping, so to speak (paying double taxes), but you really would have to speak to an accountant or tax lawyer that have international tax experience.  That wouldn't be me, unfortunately.  But here are some links:

https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/benefits-of-us-citizenship/

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/immigration/citizenship/advantages-and-disadvantages-to-u-s-citizenship.html

What else may I answer for you? I want to make sure you are satisfied and happy with my service to you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thanks so much. Very helpful.

You are very welcome.  But just in case, what other U.S. Immigration Law questions do you have for me? I hope you are pleased with my service. All I want to do is help.

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 5 days ago.

I assume that you have no additional U.S. immigration law questions for me at this time. Thank you for being a valued customer. Due to time constraints, I am not really available for follow-up questions, but if you need more help or for any situations in the future, please post a NEW session and remember to write FOR GUILLERMO in the message box so that no one else grabs the question. That way, I can become your exclusive immigration consultant. Also, I am not currently taking active cases for representation, but I am accepting certain cases for review, primarily Adjustment of Status, Removal of Conditions on green cards, and Naturalization. If interested, please find my email on your own by using my name and send me an email message or we may upgrade to a phone call for a few dollars to discuss. I hope you continue to use Just Answer in the future. It really is a great site where, from the comfort of your own home or office, you can communicate with experts in many different areas apart from Legal like Medical, Tax, Automotive, Computer, Electronics, and the list goes on and on. Thanks again and good luck in all your endeavors!