How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Accountant
Category: US Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4554
Experience:  3+ decades of various tax experience, including ex-pat, tax prep and accounting as a business owner.
Type Your US Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now

Just to clarify, I have actually earned money but no more than

This answer was rated:

Just to clarify, I have actually earned money but no more than £40k in any year for the last 6 years and no more than £60k a year before that. So when I said that I didn't meet the minimum threshold I meant for an overseas citizen on money earned overseas (as I understand it) not the minimum if you were living/earning in the US - so would it still be true that I am not required to file ? or just file for the last 6 years ?
Hello again,

If once converted to U.S. dollars, the amount that you earn overseas meets the minimum amount required to file in the U.S., you will need to file a return in the U.S. The dollar amount needs to be converted. To be in compliance, you wil need to file the last 6 years if your income, once coverted to USD requires you to do so.
Tax.appeal.168 and other US Tax Specialists are ready to help you