How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask npvadvisor Your Own Question
Category: US Tax
Satisfied Customers: 26414
Type Your US Tax Question Here...
npvadvisor is online now

I have just recieved my card and have to start paying US tax

This answer was rated:

I have just recieved my green card and have to start paying US tax - what forms do I need to fill out ?

Hi. My name's Lane. … Welcome to JUSTANSWER.COM … Thanks so much for using us!


  • I hold a Law Degree, a BBA, an MBA (Finance Specialization), and CFP & CRPS designations as well
  • I've been providing tax, corporate law & accounting, financial, and Social Security advice to clients on three continents since 1986.


(By the way, please understand that any phone consult offers come from the website automatically … not from me personally … These automated offers WILL stop.)


Please bear with me JUST a moment, while I finish up with other customers, read your question, and write up your answer.

You are now a permanent resident ... This means that you are a tax resident (as IRS would say)

WHICH means that you complete the same form that any US citizen completes to report their income and pay any tax due if enough was not withheld through work (or paid in as estimated taxes when self-employed.)

Form 1040.

I hope that this has helped

If you need clarification on this, let me know.

(I’d be glad to come back and explain further.)

Otherwise, thanks so much for using us today!


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am now a permanent resident and am married to a foreign service officer who is working at a us embassy in another country - i will only spend 16 days in teh us this year - am I entitled to any allowance against my overseas income

I believe I just answered this on another thread. The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion will likely apply.

I would use this IRS interactive tool to check:

npvadvisor and other US Tax Specialists are ready to help you