npvadvisor
npvadvisor,
1929974

I am a us card holder and work outside the us in acess of

i am a us green card holder and work outside the us in acess of 300 days - am I entitled to any tax breaks on my income ?

Hi. My name's Lane. … Welcome to JUSTANSWER.COM … Thanks so much for using us!

.

• I hold a Law Degree, a BBA, an MBA (Finance Specialization), and CFP & CRPS designations as well
  • I've been providing tax, corporate law & accounting, financial, and Social Security advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

.

(By the way, please understand that any phone consult offers come from the website automatically … not from me personally … These automated offers WILL stop.)

.

Please bear with me JUST a moment, while I finish up with other customers, read your question, and write up your answer.

The answer to your question is, "it depends."

You MAY qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE)

To claim these benefits, you must have foreign earned income, your tax home must be in a foreign country, and you must be one of the following:

• A U.S. citizen who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year,
  • A U.S. resident alien who is a citizen or national of a country with which the United States has an income tax treaty in effect and who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year, or
  • A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the country was afghanistan for an organisation based there and was exempt of local afghan taxes - i lived with my wife at the us embassy provided property in another country when on vacation from afghanistan

Yep, again, once you hit one of the requirements you're there ... and can exclude up to $107,600 for 2020, and $108,700 for 2021.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
one other question - does living with my us spouse on us government housing - these are private appartments rented by the embassy be regarded has been in te us for tax purposes

No. Not for purposes of the FEIE.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thanks for your support - its 2am - i will sleep now a little better

You are very welcome.