Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

I have a 2004 vauxhall astra & I have an intermittent power

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2004 vauxhall astra & I have an intermittent power steering problem. No lights are on the dash, fluid levels have Been checked. When starting up, sometimes the steering is very heavy, after driving for a few minutes it sorts it self out & go's back to normal. Have also found the power steering goes when the car is idiling or stuck in traffic.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

The Electric pump on these power steering can be known to cause problems with regards ***** ***** issue you have..the electric pump and reservior is one complete unit - so if you have inspected to ensure the power steering fluid is correct..then below that reservior is your electric pump..another thing id strongly suggest you have checked out is the charging ensure not only is the battery ok..but to ensure the alternator isnt about to give out..the power steering always relys on the charging system to be working correctly..any drop or intermittent fault on the system can cause the power steering to become heavy or switch first have the charging system checked..if possible get it ona good high end scanner to get into the steering system module and then see whats found..hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Thankyou
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Glad to help...Please ensure you have left a rating for me..much appreciated..