Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I am having trouble with my swirl flaps. the seals are worn

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my swirl flaps. the seals are worn and leaking. I am thinking or replacing or blanking off. can this be done without removing inlet manifold? if not, is there an easy way of removing inlet manifold without interfering with cam pulleys and fuel pump as the Haynes manual suggests.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi..there..

You wouldnt be able to do in situ on the engine as the access is very limited as you probably already see ..you have to remove the inlet from the engine sadly as this gives you access to the swirl flaps inside the inlet itself and to also clean it out and blank or repair the seals and ensure none of the flaps are stuck or broken too..seen that a few times...but its pretty difficult or virtually impossible to do it without the need to remove the HP pump..remember that doesnt need to be timed,but as long as the Cam and crank are lined up with your timing tools..then thats all you need to worry about...you could do the belt and water pump at the same time saving you a load of hassle having to do that in the future...but like i say with the z19dth engine inlets you have to get the HP pump off by removing the timing sprocket and then the allen bolts holding the pump..before you can get access or clearance to get the Inlet off..there is blanking plugs out there Click here or you could look into getting it welded up maybe too...hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you. not what I wanted to hear!! what would an independent like yourself charge to remove and replace manifold, blank off, do water pump and timing belt. mike
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Well nothings easy these days..but once you get your head around what needs to be removed its pretty much straight forward..its because there are bolts/studs on the inlet between the cylinderhead and the pump body so thats why you have to remove it... we have done a fair few of them before and blanked them off or replace the flaps and seals.. if the entire job including timing belt,water pump,inlet removal and swirl,seal replacement..we'd charge £300-£400..