Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a Vauxhall Astra VXR, 59 plate. I bought the car in

Customer Question

I have a Vauxhall Astra VXR, 59 plate. I bought the car in July 2010.I had no problems with the car until May 2018. The car wouldn't start so I thought that,due to it's age ,the battery had packed in.I jump started the car and drove it to a local garage, who replaced the battery. Since then the new battery looses it's charge every few days. If I lock the car doors ,the car alarms go off. If I leave the doors unlocked the battery will still be flat within a few days. No lights etc have been left on.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

I would have the charging system looked at.

Astra has problems with the battery lead terminal crimps that cause your symptoms.

Gary

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The terminals have been checked and are OK. I can't lock the car door because if I do the alarm goes of randomly even though nobody is in the vicinity of the motor
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hi Janette,

We need to scan for codes.

Possibly bonnet catch or one door lock faulty.

Alarm trigger history will show the cause.

Gary

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dash display showing the mpg jumps randomly. This morning I was apparently getting 999.9 mpg!
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hi Janette,

There will be many codes set by your symptoms.

I would recommend a Vauxhall or Opel dealer tech carries out a diagnostic scan of your car.

The dealer scan tool is the best way.

It could have a body ground issue, there are many ground points.

Gary