Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2012 zafira ecoflex that keeps cutting out. Nothing

Customer Question

I have a 2012 zafira ecoflex that keeps cutting out. Nothing consistent to point to a particular problem. Have spent lots of money on various things..Most recently the fuel pipe was changed - now it's worse! This car is still on finance but I just keep getting things fixed but the problem is still there. Help!
Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts fine but yes drinking fuel like no one's business!
Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Vauxhall?
Customer: 1.7 Ecoflex
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No no its been to various garages..fuel pipe most recent..injectors..and various other things sadly I've lost count without the paperwork :(
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It had the engine replaced last year because it slipped gears going from 6th to 2nd at 50mph..cost me 5k in all. It now has an ecotec engine in it.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

This sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.