Steve
Steve, Vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

I have Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Petrol year 2012 Assistant: Has

Hi, I have Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Petrol year 2012
Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: I just had the engine managment come on in steady yellow
Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Vauxhall?
Customer: Corsa
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I might do, havent tried anything yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is it for now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a cheap obd code reader of ebay and shows a code P0171 $07e8 I am not good at cars or using obd but Since I had it though I would give it a try

Hi thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician I will try and help you.

The engine management light can come on for a number of reasons but i see you have a code which is good.

The code P0171 indicates that the system has detected a weak mixture. The most likely cause of this would be an air leak into the manifold, this may be a hose or less likely a failed gasket.

Another common cause of this code is a leak in the exhaust system, this gives a false reading to the 02 sensor by allowing air into the system.

Or the problem may be a faulty 02 sensor.

Other causes could be a failing injector or MAF sensor, but these are less likely.

So the way I would address the problem would be to first check for ant air leaks into the manifold, you may hear a sucking noise with the engine running.

If you can find no air leaks check for an exhaust leak, this doesn't have to be large to effect the reading.

If after this you have not found a cause then as the engine is running ok, the most likely cause would be the 02 sensor.

I hope this helps but do please feel free to ask any further questions. If happy with my answer please click accept and rate me. Even after you have done this i will be able to answer any further questions you have.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephen, many thanks cor your response, Again I Tried the DTC Lookup and had this code and message came up on the screen but now I just deleted the codes and the light went off as normal. This was the DTC Lookup Error Code P0001: Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit/Open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this help to pinpoint anything in particular?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another thing I noticed, the fuel gage seems to be going down fast than normal, I assume it is drinking more fuel for some reason

Hi this code indicates an open circuit in the fuel regulator control solenoid, the most likely cause of this would be a poor connection.

If the light has now gone off and if it stays off then you should have nothing to worry about, it may have been a poor connection which closed the fuel regulator causing a short term weak mixture, this could result in the code and the light.

This would not link in with using more fuel, but a regulator problem may be at the root of the problems.

Just to check is the light staying out now?

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The light was staying on in yellow but now that I cleared the codes the light has gone, but I am still getting the P0171 system too lean Bank1 on the obd reader, I am going to take it for a drive just in case it comes back on and will let you know.

Ok

I will be online for at least another couple of hours so let me know.

steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephen, I just went up the M1 for a long drive and all seems okay still, However I am little that when you plug the OBD it still shows the Error Code P0001: Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit/Open and if you could recommend what would be the most obvious thing to check or replace I will look into doing that. Thank you so much for your great help.

Starting with the basics I would check the connections on the plugs to the fuel pump and fuel rail sensors. Also check the fuel pump relay and connections, the relay is in the fusebox under the bonnet to the nearside of the vehicle. I would pull all the relays out in turn and check the connections, it is possible that a poor connection could confuse the system and trigger the code.

You may have a problem with the pump but it would be rare to have this code.

Do let me know how it goes and do feel free to ask any further questions.

If you could rate me when you can that would be great.

Steve