experteer
experteer,
77184159

Insignia radiator fans not working when the engine is hot

Customer Question

insignia radiator fans not working when the engine is hot therefore losing coolant as it becomes steam ending up low on coolant.
JA: What Insignia model do you have? How old is it?
Customer: 2011 sri tourer
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: 2011 vauxhall estate SRi model
JA: How long has this been an issue with your Insignia? What happened right before this?
Customer: for a couple of months, loosing coolant , just been topping it up. Last week driving it around too fast , lost too much coolant, message came up saying low coolant stop engiine. topped up with 2.5 litres and continued.
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: this morning i topped up with water put AC on in the car and drove to work on motorway at 70mph . at end of journey ket engine running and noticed fans still ON and No coolant lost.
Category: Vauxhall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea when I will get a reply to my Question @9:11 this morning
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  experteer replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

If I understand correctly, do the radiator fans sometimes run, and sometimes not?

If so, the fuse can be excluded.

The question then is, what does the temperature display in the speedometer show? If the temperature there also rises above 90°, or drops at the moment of boiling the water, then a workshop should check the wiring between the cooling fan and the control unit. The fan module may not be controlled correctly.

However, if the temperature display does not even go to 90° or remains at 90° even with boiling radiator water, the temperature sensor for the coolant must be replaced.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my original question I’ve explained that the radiator fans switch ON when the AC is switched on in the car. With the AC on and the radiator fans running the car will remain at 90 degrees and the engine coolant is not lost.
With the AC off the radiator fans do not switch ON , eventually the the coolant runs out as steam thro the water rearguard then a message appears in dashboard telling me that the coolant has run out and I should pull over and stop the engine Immediately. Why don’t the radiator fans come on and Cool the water to 90 degrees and stop the engine overheating.
Expert:  experteer replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so the radiator fans are out once.

Have the control of the fans checked as discussed above. If you turn on the AC, the control is overruled by the air conditioning and the fans start. Since the car does not overheat then remains only the control of the fans or as already mentioned the temperature sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get fans working to cool the engine without switching on the AC. So far I have learnt anything that I didn’t know already.
Do I change one of the regulators , if yes , which regulator controls the fans to come ON when the engine goes above 90 Celsius.
Expert:  experteer replied 1 year ago.

The fan must have a plug with 2 thick cables and a plug with smaller cables. These go into a small module.

If the cooling fan module is defective, it must be replaced.

Expert:  experteer replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer, I hope I have been able to help you solve your problem. I would be very pleased to receive feedback in the form of a positive rating, which you can give very quickly and easily via the rating stars (3-5 stars). If you still need help with this problem, don’t hesitate to ask for more free questions. To do so, please simply continue with the previous question history using the text box at the bottom. Thank you very much for using JustAnswer YourCustomer