How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen Rothwell Your Own Question
Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Category: Vauxhall
Satisfied Customers: 814
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
Type Your Vauxhall Question Here...
Stephen Rothwell is online now

I purchased a used 60 plate vauxhall insignia with a clear

Customer Question

I purchased a used 60 plate vauxhall insignia with a clear mot and just been serviced. drove it away after 5 minutes the engine management light came on and a notice said engine overheating switch off engine. Took it back to garage who then fixed the water pipe which had a leak. 3 hours later i had to call the AA out as the engine was overheating again. The AA checked the turbo pipe and it had been taped up over a hole in it and a further hole was also present without tape on it. The garage took this back replaced it with a second hand turbo pipe fast forward 3 weeks and now the cars oil light came on a red light that with a warning telling me engine pressure low switch off engine. I proceeded to do this and phone AA as there was also a bottom end knocking noise. I was asked to sign a form to say the car was not fit for use. The garage i bought it from came and collected it from my home address and have now stated they will not be giving me my money back they will try and fix it. They have stated that there is a potential it needs a new engine so they are fighting with the AA about footing the bill due to me being told to drive the car 300 yards to my house and then I was asked to sign paperwork. I want to reject the car and recieve my money back as this is the 4th issue and im not sure how it passed a full mot without a single advisorey as the window wipers dont work properly the turbo pipe was taped and the water pipe had to get replaced twice as it was leaking and the tubing was worn out
JA: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?
Customer: I didnt check the oil as i didnt have an oil pressure gague. I am unsure if the oil pump was ever replaced where do i stand with rejecting the car due to the fault?
JA: What is the model of your '60 Vauxhall?
Customer: Vauxhall insignia 2 litre
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No the garage have got it and have advised that they have spoken to vauxhall who have stated it probably needs a new engine with this being the 4th fault in 3 weeks i just want my money back as i cant afford to be without a car as i have work commitments ect
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I am fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

Consumer rights on vehicle purchase were updated a couple of years ago and you are in a very strong position to be entitled to a refund. Rather than me listing all the complexities of the law it will be easier for you to go through the trading standards website as they will give you advice backed up by law.

If you fill in the details on there website it will give you the actions to take.

This is the weblink you need.

I hope this answers your question and I do hope the garage refund you without having to take the matter too far.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

Even after you have done this you can ask me any further questions.

Many thanks


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The garage are refusing to refund my money as they are wanting to get the AA to pay for the problems that have arisen the garage now arent answering my phone calls and have both the car and my money
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 9 months ago.

I would contact trading standards as they have the power and will if required take the garage to court. they will also lease with the AA and if the blame is with the AA will be able to sort out an agreement.

You have a strong case and trading standards are the best people to enforce it.

Cut and paste this link in your browser and it will take you to the page where you can begin the process