Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

My Vauxhall Corsa 59 plate EPs light just came on and the

Customer Question

Hey my Vauxhall Corsa 59 plate EPs light just came on and the power steering cut out
Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: I don't believe it has fluid and not heard any whining
Assistant: What is the model of your '59 Vauxhall?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing just happened
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

The Corsa electric steering system can suffer form a few different problems. The first check is to ensure the battery voltage is ok and the alternator is charging correctly. If the steering system is not received its full voltage it will not operate correctly.

The problem may also be within the steering column itself, one of the common components in the steering which fails is the steering angle sensor. To fully detect the problem the fault codes should be read using diagnostic equipment, the code which will be retrieved may be

C0545: steering torque sensor circuit, C0545: steering torque sensor plausibility, C0460: steering position sensor plausibility.

Unfortunately this sensor is built into the steering column unit and so the unit will need to be removed to send for repair.

It may be worth disconnecting the battery for a short while (2-3 minutes) as this may reset the steering, but if the voltage is good the problem is with the steering column and this will need a repair. This company will be able to give a price for the repair.

I suspect this was not what you wanted to hear but I hope this answers your question, do though feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue. even

after clicking accept I can continue to answer further details on the matter by replying to this thread.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How much on average does fixing a steering column cost if it is needing to be taken out and fixed

This Company has the prices which are between £200 - £300 on average, the labour to remove and refit is a couple of hours so the total cost with the VAT should be in the region of £500.

Steve