Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

It won't go in to reverse gear all of the time, the car is

It won't go in to reverse gear all of the time, the car is 1.5 years old and I would have thought that any new car should have a smooth and easy glide gear box. Mechanics at Vauxhall say that I have to release the break to allow the gear box to sinc!!!! To me this is a sihn of a bad gear box or clutch. I really don't know where to go now as the garage I bought from says that it is normal.
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: 8,000 miles on clock. no slipping, it's when you want to put the car into reverse gear, it won't allow you to fully put the gear stick into the correct position, stopping about half way down. it's not till you either push the gear stick through all of the other gears or get the car to move a bit that the gear stick will go into the reverse gear fully. If you release the clutch at the half way point, the gears make cruching sound, ie demonstarting that it is not properly in gear.
JA: What is the model/year of your Vauxhall?
Customer: bv18 xej, crossland x, techline with sat nav, april 2018
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO complained to Vauxhall who said it was ok.... I need to know if this is normal?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The hand brake doesn't always go on. I can pull the hand brake up to put on, but there's no engagement, no grip. it just pings back down again. Which deffinatly is a problem. And when the car is in full lock left or right, back or forwards it does a little jump/ slip. It's like the tyres have slipped on something, I have thought it was the leaves on the ground as it's got a bit better now that they have gone. I am worried that if the tyres are slipping on leaves, how is it going to cope with ice?

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade hopefully I can help.

Having not felt the gear change myself I can only comment from your details. Whilst some gearboxes can be reluctant to go into reverse until the gears are correctly aligned (this is because the reverse gear does not have a synchromesh, this is common) But there is a known problem on the Crossland which involved a poor gear change due to poorly adjusted cables. This is something that your dealer should know about and should be able to remedy. If they have made the adjustment then they may correct, but if they have not attempted the adjustment I would expect them to try a little harder.

Unfortunately it is the case that not all dealers are equal and some may take your complaint more seriously than others. As you also have a handbrake problem and concerns about the grip of your wheels on full lock, I would contact Vauxhall Customer care who may either send there own engineer down or direct you to another dealer. There phone number is *****(###) ###-####/p>

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept you can ask further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve