Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I have a message saying ac off due to high temp. I have no

Customer Question

Hi i have a message saying ac off due to high temp. I have no leaks, all fine in the expansion tank... I have changed the thermostat but still have the same issue
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: The vehicle only overheats when idling once warm
JA: What is the model/year of your Vauxhall?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Adam
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I’ve tried replacing the thermostat
Category: Vauxhall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m getting power to my fan but my fan isn’t turning? Should I replace the fan?
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

You state you are getting power to the fan however is the fan switched on the Live side or the Earth? Have you checked if the the fan has an earth to it?

The cooling fan would only work usually if the vehicle is left running while stationary or in very slow moving traffic. at other times it wouldn't work other than when you have your air conditioning on!

If the Live and Earth are present at the fan then it could possibly be a faulty fan. The best way to tell when the fan should work is to run the engine with a diagnostic scanner attached. in the live data you will see the engine temp and there should also be data for when the fan is switched on.

Hope this helps.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Philip thanks for getting back to me, I have both a power and an earth to my fan, I’ve already tried a radiator sensor and a thermostat in it and it hasn’t cured it. As you say, it’s fine when driving as airflow is okay? My only problem is idling. I just want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything else before replacing the fan ?
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

It certainly sounds like the fan motor could be at fault. I take it the fan is not even turning when the AC is on? you could disconnect the fan connector and power the unit straight from the battery. You would need some fairly thick cable! If it doesn't turn then you know for sure it is the fan motor that is at fault!

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I played about with the a/c today to try and get it to turn but it didn’t, I’m collecting a fan tomorrow for it but failing that I’ll be in touch. Thanks for ur help much appreciated
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

No problem at all

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I’ve replaced the fan, vehicles heating up just now, I noticed a resistor on the cowling that’s hasn’t been changed could that be at fault
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried bridging the resistor and still can’t get the fan to come on. Still overheating
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

What engine size is yours / registration. I will see if I can find a diagram for it.

Phillip

Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

I may have a partial diagram for your system.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sb14 zgk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve got the fan working now but when it gets hot it doesn’t stay on, will only stay on so long then goes off and the vehicle comes up with the A/c fault and the temp goes up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what else to do
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

The fan won't stay on constantly for engine cooling. It will come on for a minute or two and when it cools down will go off.

Even if the engine is a normal operating temperature and you are using the A/C the fan will cycle in and out.

What did you do to get the fan working?

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
J case fuse was popped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surely if the fan is working tho it should cool it to prevent it overheating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried the old radiator sensor in the engine coolant sensor however I’m not sure of the working order
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to get a hold of a scanner to read the parameters
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

That would usually blow because of a faulty fan motor.

If you have the facility to look at Engine Live Data you will see that the Engine Temperature will reach approx 118 degrees C and then the fan will cut in and run until it lowers the temperature by approx 10 degrees C. It will then stop until the temperature rises to 118 degrees C and then cut in again.

Was it a 30 amp fuse or a 40 amp fuse you have replaced?

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 amp
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

In which case can I suggest that you check Fuse 45 which should be a 40amp fuse as this may have blown as well!

Can I also check have you got a Manual Temp controlon your heater panel or automatic? I will copy the diagram for you.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it not mean there’s a major fault although it says a/c off due to high temp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Manual I’m sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for ur help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I add when u turn the vehicle off and back on the fan will come back on
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Probably no fault at all now.

Don't forget to check the other fuse.

That is fine they usually do if its hot or for self test.

The fuse you replaced will be for the low speed fan. Check the 40 amp fuse as that is your high speed fan.

i have attached a diagram for your reference.

The relay you see on the cowling is for the speed adjustment and is fed by the 30amp fuse you have changed.

Phillip

Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Sorry not relay its a resistor on the cowling!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that’s the resistor I tried bridging out but it didn’t make much of a difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check all of these things, but do u think there is no fault with it? That this is a common way for it to behave
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't think there is any fault now the fan is working. It was probably just the fan motor faulty which had blown the fuse. I would think it will be fine now.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u mate, customer aswell as my self just took that warning light to mean the vehicle was overheating
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

If the engine is overheating then either the Temperature Gauge will have risen or for those that don't have a Temperature Gauge there should be a Blue and a Red Thermometer Warning Light. obviously Blue is Cold and should extinguish when the vehicle has reached operating temperature. The Red Symbol will illuminate if the engine is overheating.

As long as this isn't illuminated then all is fine.

Phillip