Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have a 2007 Vauxhall Meriva. It currently takes about 20

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Vauxhall Meriva. It currently takes about 20 mins of driving before the temperatutre guage reaches the normal point, as a result of this the heating also is very slow to be effective. I thought this was due to the thermostat not working, but when I went to my garage they said that it is caused by sludge in the heating system and I can only put some sort of product into the water system to remove this. I would like to know your thoughts on this. Is it worth trying the water treeatment and if so what or should I insist on replacement of the thermostat - Many thanks
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 11 days ago.

Good afternoon and thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

Whilst I would agree that sludge in the cooling system may prevent the heater from reaching an optimum temperature, I would not expect this to slow the rise in engine temperature in normal driving and because of this I would agree that the thermostat should be changed.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details on the matter by replying to this thread.

Thank you for using Just Answer and do please feel free to ask me further details.

Steve