Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My 17 plate corsa seems to be using an excessive amount of

my 17 plate corsa seems to be using an excessive amount of engine water, i have had the head gasket checked and I am told that is ok. I have changed the header tank cap in case that was worn. There is from time to time juddering when driving
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I don't have a code reader
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Vauxhall Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model of your '17 Vauxhall?
Customer: As it is my daughters car I don't know that, the reg is SC17 XNX if that is any use.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Me and my husband are going to try and fix it, Had head gasket checked, and changed header tank cap.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hi..there..

How much does it normally use or how often do you need to top up?

I take it you havent noticed any leaks when parked up after use etc?

What are the footwells like in the car..do they feel damp or wet at all?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The bottle is usually filled to about half way. And it uses half that in a week. Haven't seen any leaks. Footwells are dry. It worse roubd yown. The other month we had to drive it to cornwall. Stopping regularly to check water level. It was using tbe water but no as much as I thought it would doung the higher speeds. but I just kept topping it up to half way. As I was following on a motorbike so I couldn't help daughter to keep on eye on the temp gauge. I wanted her eyes on the road. She did tell me to temp gauge didn't move. It apparently doesn't rise. Even when my daughter had forgot to check water and bottle was virtually empty. I am worried engine knackered and still 3yrs HP to go.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can't call I am at work.

Thats fine..just ignore that phone request.you wont get charged for that..

The car.. what id likely advise given what you have carried out already..is to get the coolant system pressure tested..this means adding pressure to the system and then see if it holds that pressure or not or if it forces said leak to appear..very often in cases where you find it difficult to trace leaks..then those kind of tests need to be done..other than sticking some UV dye into the coolant system and run the car for while until the level drops..then go over the whole coolant system with the black torch and glasses to trace the UV dye itself..that will for sure id your leak..externally.. however it wont if its small leak on the headgasket..a compression test on all cylinders might well do

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for your help. I'll get yhe system tested. Will a leak cause the car to judder as my daughter describes it. I haven't witnessed this myself yet. So can't give more than it judders while driving.

If the headgasket has gone..then compression test would likely show that up.. Without dismantling anything if you know a garage who has decent scope then they can do a relative compression test.and see which cylinder peaks are low..... unless the ignition coil is going bad or arcing which can be common on those petrol engines..maybe pull the sparkplugs and inspect them aswell as the igntion coil boots for corrosion or any signs its been arcing to the cylinder head...But as far as the coolant loss problem is concerned..you need to get it properly tested..you've obviously done as much as you can on a diy bases..

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Your welcome - glad to help