Steve
Steve, Vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

Heavy steering and a gurgling noise coming from res, Not

Customer Question

Heavy steering and a gurgling noise coming from res
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: Not yet
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Astra h vxr 59 reg
JA: Are you fixing your Astra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and i have only just replaced the rack and pump
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Steve replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

The heavy steering and gurgling noise would both point to a low fluid level, if the rack and pump have just been replaced it may be that there was an airlock in the system which has now cleared.

To bleed the steering the reservoir should be topped up then with the engine running the steering should be turned fully to one lock then the other, then returned to the central position, this should normally clear any air locks in the system.

It would also be advisable to check for any leaks to ensure that one of the new connections isn't leaking.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.
Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There is also a rubbing/creaking noise when turning the wheel. Could the wrong inner tie rods cause that as i have heard the vxr needs the ones without step down nut
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

The inner rods may be creaking from the inner joint, this is something that can occur, I would also check the rack mountings are tight, as it has just been changed these can settle in.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
would you suggest changing to the ones without step down and tightening up the mounts
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

I would check the mounts first, but if they are tight then yes I would change to the larger tie rods without the step down.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can you send me a link to buy the ones without the step down as i think only vauxhall sell them
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Do you have the registration number please.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sy59xdx
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It looks like this
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Try this link, CLICK HERE the one listed under the sports suspension should be the one you need.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Also just to add, did you check the U/J on the steering column when the rack was disconnected, these have a habit of seizing up and can give both heavy steering and scaping noise.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I only checked to see if there was any play in the joint amd there didnt seem to be any
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Thats ok, if you checked for play you would have felt any stiffness, it would have been resisatnt to move, so that sounds ok.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Any idea which fluid is best for the vxr
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Hi Yes the recommended steering fluid is Pentosin CHF 202 this is a central hydraulic fluid and green in colour.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also the link says those rods are for upto 17 inch and i have 19in wheels
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Sorry I meant to send the link with the full listing, the full list is on this page CLICK HERE OE numbers are on the site

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

This one CLICK HERE covers the 19" wheels with sports suspension.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yip that one ticks all the boxes apart from it has a step down. Is there a spacer for it to take the step down away
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Not as far as I am aware, I have just looked on the vauxhall manual and it looks the same, but no washer shown. It may be worth contacting the supplier, but I have never seen a washer fitted.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is it worth going direct to vauxhall as i cant seem to find any without the step down at all
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Hi I think it may be a better option, they will be a little more expensive, but as it is the VXR you do want it right, if it was a little 1200 Astra it would be a different matter, but for your  2.0 VXR you do want it to be correct.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there anyway you could contact them and enquire about it as it seems really hard to phone a number for them
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yeah as its running 290 bhp the steering needs to be correct
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Who's phone number are you looking for?

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am in scotland and would be looking to speak to the parts department ie glasgow and the surrounding area
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

The dealer in your area is ***** ***** parts phone number 0141(###) ###-####/p>

They should be able to help you.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for all your help mate
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.

Your welcome. I hope all goes well, you have a nice motor I can see why you want it right.

Steve.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yip its the bain of my life but i do love the thing lol
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.
I can understand why
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Just one more quick question where should i fill the steering pump res to?
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.
Is it type with a dipstick on the lid, if not there should be a line just inside showing the level.
Steve
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
it has a wee dip stick
Expert:  Steve replied 11 days ago.
There should be a line on the stick, some had two, the higher one is hot and the lower one is the level cold
Steve