Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

We have a vauxhall zafira on a 57 plate when we first start

Customer Question

Hello we have a vauxhall zafira B on a 57 plate when we first start it it runs really rough and lumpy have checked glow plugs and relay and also temperature sensor plug but no change but when you disconnect the temperature sensor and start it up it runs as sweet as can be
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.
Customer: Yeah they are all good
JA: Are you fixing your 57 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yh and we have cleaned the egr valve and the throttle body and checked glow plugs and also tried another glow plug relay. When the temperature switch is disconnected the glow plug light on dash stays on for longer
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We have also checked all pipes
Category: Vauxhall
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is the first time we have used this site and still waiting for a reply about our zafira fault will not be using this site again I think you should refund our 5 pound as it says quick replies
Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.

Hiya

The first stage of diagnosis should be a full diagnostic code read to establish what codes if any are present.  From there a diagnostic path can be established.

I suspect however that there won't be a fault code because the Temp Sender is working however it is giving a wrong temperature that the Engine Control Module is acting on rather than the correct temperature.  What you need to do is take a look at the Live Data readings for the Temp Sensor to determine if it is giving you the correct reading.  If it isn't then I suspect you will want a new one.

Phillip