Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I need to know what alternator to purchase for my 2011

I need to know what alternator to purchase for my 2011 insignia Sri 2.0 diesel. There are four to choose from with different amp readings. And I can't find a serial number on my broken one to find out what one I need.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: The car is now 11 year old with the original engine. And I do my own servicing which was about 3 months ago.
JA: What is the model of your '11 Vauxhall?
Customer: Sri 160
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be fixing it myself. I haven't done anything so far. I'm just trying to get a price for a new unit, but I need to know which exact alternator I need for my model.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I'm aware of

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a Vehicle Master Tech/MOT Tester located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call.I don’t personally offer this service. I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best advice possible and to help you. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Firstly can i ask who i am speaking with today?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Rob my name is steven.

Hello Steven.

- Whats the vehicle Reg or VIN?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sfz8650 is the reg

Ok. Alternator listed for that car is 100amp type you need.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
That's the key. Brilliant, the fella I'm buying off had three different amp readings and needed to know which one was specific for my car. Thank you. Also would you have any tips when changing out an alternator? Iv only ever done one before on an old ford.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
That's the key. Brilliant, the fella I'm buying off had three different amp readings and needed to know which one was specific for my car. Thank you. Also would you have any tips when changing out an alternator? Iv only ever done one before on an old ford.That's the key. Brilliant, the fella I'm buying off had three different amp readings and needed to know which one was specific for my car. Thank you. Also would you have any tips when changing out an alternator? Iv only ever done one before on an old ford.

Best getting decent socket set/swan neck ring spanners with long extensions for the top bolt.you only have 2. your going to have to get the drivers wheel off, remove the intake air box completely, remove your belt by backing off the tensioner "new belt would be worth getting too", and the engine cover, support the car with an axle stand on that side because you'll need to go under the car above the oil filter housing you'll see you bottom bolt.the top one will be alot more tricky as you need to go in the from the top and from the back of the engine.the alternator on the back with a have plug to remove,bolt terminal 13mm if i recall.then it basically either manipulate it out from the back or drop it out down beyond the subframe,getting it in will be a task as its best to have another person in from the top guide it back in.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
That's brilliant Rob thank you.

No problem at all Steven. Best of luck with the repair and thank you again for visiting Justanswer