Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

We love our dog - a collie cross aged 17 - dearly but she is

We love our dog - a collie cross aged 17 - dearly but she is now in the last stages of decline. She cannot see properly, is profoundly deaf, she has difficulty standing or sitting, has become incontinent (she is taking incurin for this), she has a heart condition and is on vetmedin for this. She staggers around and bumps into things and has started to poo in the house seeming to have no control over her rear end. her day comprises eating, evacuating and sleeping. In herself she is at times alert and bright eyed (particularly when her euthanasia is discussed !) but for most of the time she is drowsey. . She hates going to the vets and collapses in great distress whilst waiting to see the vet.
We would like her to gently pass away at home to avoid the inevitable distress to her. How possible is this ?

Drew :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

I certainly understand your concerns, and I know how difficult it can be to wrestle with this sort of situation, as a dear pet declines in old age.

Drew :

unfortunately, there's no medicines or drugs that are available for oral administration at home which might humanely speed up this process,

Drew :

so your best option is likely going to be to find a veterinarian who is willing to make a house-call to administer the intravenous euthanasia injection,

Drew :

that way Megan can remain in a comfortable and familiar environment.

Drew :

While many pet owners seek oral medicines to accomplish this goal, the end result is usually not the intended one --

Drew :

more likely, there will be agitation, nausea, vomiting, respiratory difficulty -- and usually not a pleasant passing.