DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

my labrador is losing her hair excessivly is she lacking protien

my labrador is losing her hair excessivly is she lacking protien or anything else
Hi There my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and help you .

Hair loss could be due to many factors .
1. poor nutrition
2. skin/coat disease - bacterial / parasitical/ fungal
3. psychological issues (stress, more common in cats)
4. seasonal
5. Endocrine - some glandular disease may result in hair loss due the abnormalities in the hair follicle itself which would result in it fall out.
6. some disease of an autoimmune group (where the bodies own immune system attacks the hair and causes it to fall out) as well can cause hair loss

Low protein is not a common cause for hair loss in dogs .

My advice would be to make an appointment with your vets in order for him to examine Missy close up. it might be that the cause is clear and a simple course of special shampoo for example will resolve the whole problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have already taken her to the vet but he says its normal i have groomed her this morning and her hairs are still coming out on my clothes a nd the carpet 1 can i introduce oily fish or capsules into her diet 2 what is the shampoo you mention

Hi again.

Hair loss could be seasonal as well.
What type of diet are your feeding her?
Is she itching as well?
Has she lose any weight of late / or gained ?
is she on any medication ?
is she otherwise fine in herself ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

her hair loss is constant
she is fed on a dry food

occasionly she scratches but only on on side i have checked for ticks and her skin seems ok

her weight is unchanging

she is not on medcation

and she is fine and healthy

i understand the seasonal moulting is a bit excessive but this is worse

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i asked what was the name of the special shampoo and also asked if i could introduce oily fish or fish oil capsules into her diet ,i have not been given an answer to these questions
Ok then.

I understand you were seen by your vet and they have decided that Missy is fine .

You can always supplement her with spacial tablets of essential oils - you can get them at any pet store .
as well try maybe swapping to a better quality make of food (ask your vet) which could be more fitting with Missy's current skin problem (it could be that her food is not answering all her requirements for a healthy coat).

If you are still not satisfied , You can always ask your vets to perform a more extensive exam , including a special blood and skin profile which might help find any deficiencies or abnormalities which can point out towards Missy's hair loss.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX shampoo. These are veterinary prescribed shampoos which only given in need of skin disease. I would actually advise against shampooing Missy (with regular over the counter) as you are robbing her of her natural protective oils which are produced by her body and so making skin infection possible to occur