How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 32488
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

my dog has a swelling on the side of his tongue -it has grown

Customer Question

my dog has a swelling on the side of his tongue -it has grown to the size of a small marble and now it seems to cause him some discomfort
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. My job here is to provide you with honest information and not necessarily information you wish to hear.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is the growth on the tongue itself or in the tissue next to the tongue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 - about 4/5 months

2 - on the edge of the tongue

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Susan, what you are describing is consistent with a lingual tumor. Unfortunately, tumors of the tongue can sometimes be malignant (cancer). For this reason, it is important to get to them early. Given the organ that is affecting (the tongue) often the best approach is complete surgical removal. Allowing the tumor to grow makes it more difficult for the veterinary surgeon to remove the tumor completely once the tumor has grown significantly. There is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. I would highly recommend having Gizmo examined by family veterinarian for a biopsy or FNA (fine needle aspirate) of the growth. The decision of complete surgical decision should be made on biopsy or FNA results.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter