Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My one year old cat was fast asleep on his bed when I lifted

My one year old cat was fast asleep on his bed when I lifted his paw it flopped back down and he didn't react, he didn't respond to any further stimuli even when I picked him up he was slow in coming round. Was he just in a very deep sleep ?

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Ted.

Dr. Jo :

If you return online and wish to join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click the REPLY tab.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can discuss this back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I have given.

Dr. Jo :

While I wait for you to return online, I'd like to start by telling you it's most likely that Ted was indeed just in a very deep sleep. This is even more likely if has been acting otherwise healthy, has no history of illness, takes no medications, and has been given a clean bill of health at a recent veterinary examination. That being said, it is still possible this is a sign of a problem...

Dr. Jo :

While this is NOT a common way for problems to present, it is still POSSIBLE Ted acted this way because of a medical issue.

Dr. Jo :

This is not a classic symptom for any disease, but it could be associated with a head injury or an exposure to some kind of toxin or drug.

Dr. Jo :

But, as I said, this is not common.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are online now. How is Ted acting at this point?

Dr. Jo :

Just type in your answer and click REPLY

Dr. Jo :

I am waiting for your reply, but do not see anything yet. I will give it a little more time before worrying there is a technical issue...

Customer:

he has just been playing as usual and eating and now headed back to his bed. There was a toy beside him with catnip in it could this have had an affect on him ?

Dr. Jo :

Now I can see your reply...

Dr. Jo :

I'm relieved to see he has been playing as usual and eating.

Dr. Jo :

Has he had catnip before? Is this a new toy? It can certainly affect cats in a pretty remarkable way sometimes.

Customer:

yes a newish toy, not played with it much, not aware of him having had any before... only been with me a few months

Dr. Jo :

Even though we tend to think of catnip as being a harmless toy, it is actually a drug. It could certainly have been responsible for Ted's extreme drowsiness.

Dr. Jo :

Just to be on the safe side, do please make sure there are no other possible medications/drugs Ted could have gotten into to cause this effect. Some human medications can make cats pretty sick. You'll want to look through your house/apartment to make sure you don't see evidence of a knocked over bottle, etc.

Customer:

nothing that he could have got lying about, I think the cat nip could be the answer. Thank you for your assistance it has put my mind at rest, though I will obviously keep a close eye on him. :)

Dr. Jo :

I agree. Based on everything you're telling me, I think it sounds like the catnip toy is the most likely culprit. The toy might have unusually strong catnip in it, or Ted might be especially sensitive to catnip. I'd recommend taking the toy away for now so he can have a chance to sleep it off and fully recover.

Dr. Jo :

Use it with caution in the future, when you can watch him and see if it happens again. If he's extraordinarily sensitive you might be well-advised to minimize his contact with catnip.

Customer:

Toy has been removed to a safe distance !! thanks again

Dr. Jo :

It is generally NOT considered to be dangerous or even addictive for cats, but it can make them sleepy.

Dr. Jo :

In Ted's case, perhaps catnip toys need to come with a warning that say, "DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY AFTER PLAYING WITH THIS TOY" ;-)

Customer:

might try it myself !!

Dr. Jo :

Some people do use it for insomnia. Catnip tea.

Dr. Jo :

:-)

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?