Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Visited local vet few days ago. one of my 3 dogs gone down

Visited local vet few days ago. one of my 3 dogs gone down with "kennal cough" Broncitis !.
Springer span. Today Sunday my West Highland terrior has developed same symptoms with white discharge. After paying £50 few days ago. now looking for a £1oo fee plus medication to visit local out of hours vet today . Do you think dog will be ok today without medication until I can see my own vet tomorrow (Monday ) or can I give my small dog any of the larger dogs medication or any other form of antibiotic I can use temporarily. Can you advise please.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Molly is not feeling well. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does the white discharge come out secondary to the cough/gagging?
2- What are the names of the medication the other dogs is on and milligrams?
3- How much does Molly weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Q1 Yes

Q2 Ronaxan 100mg

Q3 8kg

Alan, it sounds like Molly has kennel cough as your other dog. In response to your question, yes, you can use Ronaxan 100mg 3/4 tablet every 12-24 hours. Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is dosage of RONAX\AN 100 mg OK you stated suitable for much smaller dog. Please confirm.

Alan, the dose for Ronaxan (doxycyline) for infections ranges between 5-10mg/kg every 12-24 hours. So, if Molly is 8kg that means her dose ranges between 40-80mg every 12-24 hours. 3/4 of a tablet of 100mg Ronaxan = 75mg which is within therapeutic range for Molly.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Excellent advise. Thank you.

Could not obtain this temporary advise from local emergency centre without a visit costing £105 plus medication. Will take Molly to my local vet 2 morrow. Thanks again Alan Smith. Will leave a stisfactory revue

Molly will do great Alan.

Your Welcome, I am glad I was here to help. Thank you for the revue.

Dr. Peter