Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my dog ate 500gms marzipan 6 hours ago. Is it dangerous

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got the correct medication Marzipan is an antibiotic (Meropenem), right?
2- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
3- Is she spayed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Marzipan is almond paste for putting on cakes. It consists of sugar and ground almonds

Yes she is drinking more than usual and she is not interested in food or treats

Yes she is spayed

Did she start drinking more than usual after eating the Marzipan?

Thank you for the clarification.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- Is she lethargic?

I will have an answer for you within 5-10 minutes of receiving the response to the above questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She weighs 13.6 kgs. She seems subdued more than lethargic. She got up and followed me when I left the room just now.

Gerda, the almonds and sugar are not going to be systemically toxic. But, because of the high fat content of almonds and in addition the sugar it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). The increase water consumption could be directly related to the excess sugar consumption. Or, a completely different unrelated problem. This is what you can do for the vomiting:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her Zantac 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Give her belly time to rest.
3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above or drinking excessively after 24 hours she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter