Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my border collie seems to be coughing and wretching to be sick

my border collie seems to be coughing and wretching to be sick without bringing anything up

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Oscar is not feeling well...

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

How long has this been going on?

Will Oscar still eat?

Has he been to a vets office, kennel , groomer or dog park recently?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No he hasnt been anywhere. He is eating now and drinking whilst we speak

Thank you Lisa for that information....

Since Oscar is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat.

This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, Oscar can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give Oscar 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of his weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so he is more comfortable. This can last up to 2 weeks.

It is best to have your vet examine Oscar to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease.

Does that make sense to you, Lisa?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Lisa for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Oscar is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a great day, Lisa....Oscar too!

Good morning, Lisa. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Oscar. Is he doing any better? Thanks!