Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog was spayed 28th this month, she had her stiches out

my dog was spayed 28th this month, she had her stiches out but scar was not healing well. Took her bast last night and antibiotics were given and I was to phone on Monday, tonight the scar has come open, it had a blister and what looked like a stitch and this has opened up, have done my best to put dressing on it, Im very worried
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Daisy. You've described a stitch abscess which has broken open and drained. This occurs either because the subcuticular stiitch is acting as a foreign body and/or the suture site is infected.

Over two weeks later than her surgery, Daisy should be in no danger of having her incision open to any dangerous extent. Administering her antibiotics and tending to the open area topically with a dressing as you've described is likely to suffice although in some cases we need to open the incision once again and remove any of the subcuticular (under the skin) sutures that haven't resorbed as quickly as we would have expected. I would tend to it as instructed for the next week and only have her rechecked if you felt that your ministrations weren't sufficient after that length of time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.