Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have an 8 week old Labrador Retriever with diarrhea. She

I have an 8 week old Labrador Retriever with diarrhea. She was eating Quantum puppy food and we have been giving her 40g per meal 4 times a day. She weighs about 3.8kg. Her last toileting outside she suirted liquid diarrhea which was just like water. She has refused any further food or water. When we brought her home she had been on Pedigree puppy food, but we were unable to get any but as we already use adult quantum for our other dog, we felt that the puppuy quantum would be ok for her. HAve you any suggestions untiul I can get her to the vet tomorrw. Note we are experienced owners having had Golden Retrievers for the last 25 years.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Maddy has diarrhea. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she vomiting?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No there is no vomiting. She has been playing all day with Tilly, our 4yr old Golden but this evening she has become quieterand she sleeping a lot. Her nose is dry now, although an hour ago it was moist cold and wet.

Stephen, diarrhea in a puppy certainly can be related to the food. Other common causes are: dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- You can give her 1-2 teaspoon of plain yogurt a day.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help. We will prepare a meal for the morning following your advice and then follow up by contacting our own vet and arranging a visit.

Stephen

Thank you for the excellent rating.

Your Welcome.

Dr. Peter