Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my horse has a soft lump the size of a small ball in its t

my horse has a soft lump the size of a small ball in its throat

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This mass you see is most likely due to an inflamed or infected lynph node. These nodes drain issues in the mouth area so it is common when there are teeth issues, that bacteria will get caught in the node and cause an abscess.

First, have your vet examine Alfie's mouth and float his teeth. If nothing is seen, then your vet will tap this mass to see if it is an abscess.

For now, the best thing you can do is to continue giving the penicillin G daily until the cause is determined.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Graham for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a great day!