Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our dog is panting quite a bit and shaking. He urinated twice

Our dog is panting quite a bit and shaking. He urinated twice in the house and is not interested in his food, this has happened during the course of the day. What might be wrong with him?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he on any medications?
5- Is he walking any different?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just today,no vomiting etc and no other medical conditions, normally very healthy and happy. I gave him half a paracetamol tablet 20 minutes ago. He is walking slowly and his tail is down, he does not want to do anything but rest.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- How many milligrams was the paracetamol?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr Peter , Charlie weighs 2st. and his gums are pink, the tablet is c250 mg and I can't give a temperature reading. My wife says that this happened before when we had him groomed and guess what! We just had him groomed yesterday. Right now he is not panting or shaking near as much. Hope this sheds more light for you.
1- Does he have any skin irritation? If so, is he licking/gnawing at any area?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. He is smacking his lips just a bit more than usual.
Frank, when we see a dog shanking and panting as you are describing in the absence of other symptoms it is often associated with discomfort (pain) or a fever. The fact that there is a history of happening after being groomed it is possible it is secondary to being uncomfortable if he was shaved closely and there is minor skin irritation, it could also be secondary to neuromuscular pain. The lip smacking suggest possible anal gland discomfort.
I would recommend you keep him on the paracetamol, but, decrease the dose to 250mg 3/4 tablet every 12 hours. If he continues with the same symptoms by tomorrow have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cheers, XXXXX XXXXX for everything.
Cheers Frank Smile

You're welcome.