Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

One of my cats has a suspected tumor in his abdomen .Today

One of my cats has a suspected tumor in his abdomen .Today he has had an ultrasound scan and other checks. He is 16 now .If the prognosis is correct what are his chances
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Would you clarify, please, if a tumor was seen when he was ultrasounded? If so, the ultrasonographer should have been able to tell you from where the tumor arose. Unfortunately, in the great majority of cases, abdominal tumors in a 16 year old cat are going to be malignant. Enlarged lymph nodes can represent primary lymphoma or be enlarged due to metastasis from malignant cancers elsewhere in the abdomen. Primary gastrointestinal tumors are usually malignant adenocarcinomas. PriXXXXX XXXXXver, pancreatic, and splenic tumors are most often malignant but we do see benign adenomas of the liver and spleen.

In general, a 16 year old who is acting well isn't likely to harbor a malignancy. If Tigger is being ultrasounded because he's been ill, however, any tumor found is likely to be malignant. I'm sorry to sound so discouraging. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Tigger, please?