Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

We have just got a dog from rescue kennels (5 days ago) he

We have just got a dog from rescue kennels (5 days ago) "Gwyn" American bull terrier x quite a large dog about 1 year old and he is deaf, he is neutered He starts wimpering then is mounting our furniture soft furnishings sofa cushions bed pillows etc and trying to rip them apart it is taking all our strength to get him off, and were advised by kennel contact to when pulled off immediately give him a toy straight away but he is ripping the soft toys to bits. Also he is unrestrainable when there is any food out he just bounds across to the table and jumps up and takes the food off the plate, my son has now stopped eating his meals. We have an 8 year old Yorkshire terrier x who is getting traumatised as he is coming across to defend my son then gets into a scrap with the bigger dog I have removed my yorki this morning to go stay with my mother for a few days. Usually after an altercation where he has had to be restrained he goes off into the bedroom where his basket is (although he doesn't use it as a bed) and sucks, knaws the cushion part of the bed and is also kneeding like a cat does, then calms and comes back over to have a cuddly/ tickle and gives you kisses as if he is sorry. I am very worried though as these episodes are escalating and he has started growling back at me when I have pulled him off.  today he has chewed away through the seat belts in the car while we went into a shop, for the first 2 days he has been fine in the car for no more than 10-15 mins he was attached via dog harness, my yorki was also in the car restrained. I feel that I should take the dog back to the kennels because I am concerned I don't know how to sort it

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Gwen's condition. It could be partly genetics and/or her previous environment that has caused this bad behavior but this will be very difficult to get under control.

As I see it, from having dealt with many of tehse cases, you have 2 options. One is to take this dog to a trainer away from your environment, have Gwen seen by your vet to be sure there is not a medical cause for this behavior, and then have them prescribe an anti anxiety medication used for this such as Reconcile, which is dog Prozac. This will help the trainer to better aid Gwen in reducing her anxiety so this behavior can be turned into a loving dog able to integrate well into your environment. This may not be successful , so you have to be prepared that there is a chance that Gwen may still not be a suitable companion for you and your son and your Yorki.

the other alternative is to return Gwyn...I say this because it appears that she may require a household without children or other dogs....she may be able to integrate better in this environment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Linda for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know this must be very hard on you and your family and you will do what is best for them and Gwyn.

Happy Holidays!