How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22449
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

Have been looking after a stray from a kitten since may, when

Customer Question

Have been looking after a stray from a kitten since may, when I came out of hospital. he was feral at first and it took quite a time for him to trust me. I have him in the wash house to sleep and eat. I have myasthenia gravis so am weak in the upper part of my body, also a blood disorder and secondary cancer. I'm worried about him because he needs to be sprayed. and has now an eye infection. I have no-one to help me get him to a vet. parking a problem, carrying him too far. plus funds low. and the fact I may have to have more long stays in hospital in the future.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.


First, I am sorry to hear Cat's Protection have not been very helpful (many of the branches will at least take the cat to the vet for neutering for you, if not take them in).


In this situation, I would strongly suggest contacting the your local RSPCA branch (LINK). The RSPCA may be able to take Tommygrey for you. Or if the cannot, then they often will help with the costs of medical care and neutering for animals in this type of situation. They have some vet hospitals where they will see animals directly for a subsidized price (ie London, Salford). Or if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital (or the logistics of traveling to difficult here), they should still be able to offer help. Some branches can help offset the costs of getting him treatment for his eye (+/- cover the cost of neutering if CP won't send you a voucher to at least get it done). They may even be able to help organize a payment plan and refer you to their contracted vet, who will likely have a contracted price range for their charity. And some branches may also be able to spare a member of staff to transport Tommygrey for you (or even get their vet out to see him). Therefore, this would be main point of call after CP.

Otherwise, just to note a few options if funds are low and you are perhaps on any benefits (though these will require traveling), you may be able to get him seen at the PDSA. Eligibility tends to be based on housing or council tax benefits, but you can check your eligibility HERE. If you are eligible and there is a PDSA hospital near you, then Tommygrey could be taken there for treatment. (If there isn't, then he'd still be eligible for PDSA's Pet Aid which can be used at a participating local vet). Other options, if you happen to be local to London or Grimsby, are the Blue Cross Hospital (HERE) or Battersea Dog & Cat home also runs a low cost clinic and will see animals in his situation.

Now in regards XXXXX XXXXX eye, if you are seeing snotty/pus-like discharge in the eye that isn't settling with bathing, then we do want this to be evaluated by a vet sooner rather then later. If he has a bacterial conjunctivitis, then antibiotics drops would be indicated. If he also has sneezing or respiratory signs, then he may have cat flu and need treatment for that as well. And if, goodness forbid, the ocular signs you are seeing are due to a scratch or trauma to his eye, then we'd want the vet to evaluate its severity and treat it as required.

Finally, just in case you do keep Tommygrey, have to go into hospital at any stage, and don't have anyone to care for him during that time, I do want to mention the Cinnamon Trust (LINK). This is a volunteer organization where they will foster pets of people who are in hospital or have gone into care. And they may just be a back up option for you, should you need to go into hospital for any length of time in the future.

Overall, I am concerned about his eye and as we both appreciate it needs to be seen to. Since CP has failed to be helpful in this instance, I would strongly advise contacting the RSPCA as they should either be able to take Tommygrey in for you or at least aid you in getting him the treatment he requires. And while doing so, they should be able to arrange neutering (or you can see if CP will at least send a voucher to cover the cost for you).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )