How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22616
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

I am an OAP who has re homed a dog called Charlie.

This answer was rated:

I am an OAP who has re homed a dog called Charlie. I bought him last September from people who were not looking after his needs. he was full of worms and flees. l sorted all those problems. He is now registered with Taverham Vets. Jabs done and also chipped. He has settled in with me really well training going slowly. Recall is the biggest problem. The question I would like to ask is about getting nutering done for him. I have been told it would cost me £120 plus vat. I cant afford that amount as what money I had ive used up for what was needed for Charlie. Does the RSPCA help in anyway towards the cost. My mane is Jemima XXXXXXX Tel XXXXX XXXXXX [email protected] Thank you for your time Regards Mima

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.


You are a star to have rehomed Charlie from his previous owners.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX him neutered with support, there are a few potential options. First, and potentially most likely to work for you, would be to ask your local practice about whether they are participating in the Dog's Trust neutering scheme. (especially as it seems that the Snetterton Dog's Trust facility is quite nearby). This is a scheme from the Dog's trust where they will subsidize the cost of the spay so that you only pay £30. To contact them and get a Neutering Voucher sent you, you can check here (More Information). If they don't participate, then perhaps phone the Dog's Trust directly to see if (1) they have a vet on site to do this or (2) can advise you of a local vet who would allow you to get Charlie castrated under the scheme.

If that isn't an option then I would advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (LINK ). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting him castrated.

Finally, while you will need to check if you are in the catchment area, you can consider contacting the PDSA. They too are an option since they do offer low cost neutering to their registered clients. To find the PDSA nearest to you and confirm your eligibility, you can check HERE. If you are out of their catchment area, you can check to whether their Pet Aid Scheme (where they pay up to £100 after the owner pays the first £40) would cover neutering for Charlie.

Overall, with your situation, there are options to get Charlie neutered for a small fee. Therefore, I would advise looking into the above sources of aid to help you do so.


I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you