How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22422
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

Hi I have a 71/2 Mth old pup he is very overpowering and keeps

This answer was rated:

Hi I have a 71/2 Mth old pup he is very overpowering and keeps biting me have been advised to try piriteze to calm him down how much should I give him he weighs 19.2 kilos ?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.


First, I would strongly advise keeping up on your behavior classes and perhaps even consider a visit with a veterinary behaviorist (in person is always best because they will be able to see Gus's subtle cues to get to the root of his "issue") at this stage before his behaviors really become ingrained and habitual. They can help address this now and to have the advantage of being able to prescribe behavior modification medication if necessary for Gus. This way you'd not be trying to subdue the inappropriate behavior but would be able to root it out for a better long term relationship with Gus.


Otherwise, I do need to warn you that Piriteze in the UK is cetirizine. This is actually an antihistamine that is considered to have much less sedation and calming effects as compared to others. Therefore, you can consider trying it ( 4.8mg-19.2mg once daily) but you may see better results with Chlorpheniramine (Piriton) which we tend to use 4-8mg for a dog 2-3 times daily or Diphenhydramine (19.2mg -38.4mg twice daily). All are available over the counter and of course should only be used with Gus if he has a clean bill of health from his own vet (since we'd not want to give a poorly dog with an ongoing issue this medication without their approval.)


Finally, just in case you did want to reach your local veterinary behaviorist, you can check the RCVS register (HERE) and search under "veterinary behavioral medicine". Alternatively, if you are local to a vet school, you can ring them to see if they do have a behaviorist on staff (ie Bristol, Glasgow, etc).


I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you took him to my vets what other medication did you mean ?
You are welcome, Tracy.

I assume you mean what type of behavior modification drugs are used in veterinary medicine. If that is the case, there are quite a few. Two common ones you may have heard of are fluoxetine and clomipramine. That said, these drugs should not be used on their own but only in appropriate cases that are also undergoing behavior modification therapy (since the point of the drugs is to facilitate helping you and him to address the behavior as opposed to being a "cure"). If your vet has not discussed these with you or is not a behaviorist, then it may be worth seeing if they have a behaviorist on staff or whether they can refer you to a local one. That way you can take some steps to get to the root of Gus's behavior and address this for his long term career and happiness as part of your family.

Take care,
Dr. B.