How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22591
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

Hi, I have a small mini XXXXX XXXXX and it is 19 months

This answer was rated:


I have a small mini XXXXX XXXXX and it is 19 months old. She has not been done and I think she might have had sex with a dog next door. The dog next door is a cross between a XXXXX XXXXX and a pug. If she got pregnant could this seriously harm her as the male dog is a bit bigger than her.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many days ago do you think she was mated?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yesterday it happened.

Thank you Sam,

Since you are based in the UK, you have two decisions on how to approach this situation for your lass.

First, in the UK, you have an advantage not available in other parts of the world. This advantage is that we still have a injectable abortive treatment for situations like this (where the female would be at risk if she were to carry a pregnancy to term) called Alizin. Therefore, if she has just been mated, you can choose to phone her vet first thing tomorrow and book her in for treatment with Alizin. She will need two injections 24 hours apart but if he has impregnated her then this will end the pregnancy before it can cause any issue. Just to note, if you were to delay and not obtain treatment before day 20 of the pregnancy, this treatment would lead to her going into labor to pass the non-viable pups (which could still be a risk if they were too large by day 20), where as doing so this early will just cause resorption of any cellular fetuses without any labor signs. So, this would be something to do as soon as possible (though you can wait until her vet is open, of course).

Otherwise, our other option would be to have her spayed at this time. This would remove the pregnancy along with the uterus and prevent this and all future pregnancies. And this could potentially be a better option if you are keen to have her spayed anyway (since it would make sure this couldn't happen again). This would be again something we'd want to do sooner rather then later but you would just need to ring your vet to make sure they are happy to do this for you and book her in.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you very much for your help I will be in contact with my local vet.

You are very welcome, Sam.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

All the best for Wispa,
Dr. B.