How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 22584
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

My 10 kg KCC was not eating and became listless and wd not

This answer was rated:

My 10 kg KCC was not eating and became listless and wd not go for walkies. This lasted a couple of days. I took him vets y'day and they gve him an injection to stop him feeling nauseous. He has now started eating ( chicken and rice ) and drinking and seems to be improving. We just went for a short walk in the park. He pooed twice today and did very runny stools which may be a reaction to the injection. I have several packets of anti robe clindamycin 75 mg pills. Should I give him a course of these?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am glad to see that Valentino is feeling better after having had an anti-nausea injection and is eating for you again. Since you have noted that his runny stools may be a reaction to what was given (ie if he was given Metoclopramide), we don't want to immediately throw him on antibiotics (and we'd not use Antirobe/Clindamycin for a GI bacterial infection as our first line treatment anyway). Instead, it would be prudent to let the effects of the injection wear off (give 24 hours) before assuming he needs antibiotic treatment for an infection.

In the meantime, you can keep offering the light/easily digestible diet option. Though if you think he could be sensitive to the chicken, consider offering boiled white fish or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk) with the rice instead. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and while lessening any diarrhea. As well, just in case he has been keen to make up for lost time with eating, do remember to feed small frequent meals (since big meals can overwhelming a settling GI that has been off food for a wee while). This too will further decrease the volume of diarrhea he is producing. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Furthermore, just to slow benign causes of diarrhea, there are a few safe options for your wee one. The one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; example) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the Pro-Fiber has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, this may be an ideal option before turning to antibiotics that may not be necessary.

Overall, it is a positive that Valentino is feeling better and happy to eat for you again. Now with these loose stools, if this is a new feature after having had the injection, then I would advise continuing the light diet and considering one of these GI settling treatments at this stage. If the diarrhea continues over the next 24 hours, then we would need to start considering that the injection is innocent that there may be a bacterial agent causing trouble in his GI. In that case, I would not advise using Antirobe and instead advise ringing your vet. Since they have just seen them, they will likely be happy to dispense a course of appropriate antibiotics for him to see if they can help you nip this in the bud for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B. and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you